Monday 13 September 2010

Restaurant Review 2 - The Poacher's Rest, Auchmacoy, Aberdeenshire.


Tel - 013587 22114

Steve and I have never been to The Poacher's Rest despite living fairly close to it so we finally decided to give it a go.  Started off well as we arrived in the cute village with the sun low in the sky giving the golden barley fields a warm glow.  Inside, it is just what you expect of a little old-fashioned village pub.  Unfortunately there only seemed to be us and one other table there the whole evening which doesn't bode well for business.

Our waitress was lovely - friendly and efficient - and the pace of the meal was perfect.

Steve started with Garlic creamed assorted mushrooms served on toasted ciabatta (£4.25) and these were yummy!  I had Chef's own chicken liver and pork pate with cumberland sauce and oatcakes (£4.95).  I got a generous lump of pate although I could have done with a little more of the delicious sauce.  The food was served in a fairly dated style with a limp, boring side salad.

Next, I had the Grilled haddock with banana and chutney (£8.25).  This was a great idea - combination went very well together but the fish was a little tired - probably a day or two old.  Plenty of veg and potatoes came alongside.  Steve had Sauteed chicken breast stuffed with stilton, served in a port cream sauce (£9.95).  He enjoyed it but as you would expect with that combination, it was fairly rich and he felt very full afterwards.

Still, I convinced him to help me with a pudding.  It was a chocolate brownie ice cream thing.  We argued over whether it was home-made or Brake Brothers but I'm pretty sure I'm right and it was commercially bought!

The whole bill came to £38.45 for two starters, two mains, one pudding, one soft drink, one beer and a couple of coffees.  That is pretty cheap!  Okay, the food didn't blow me away but it's quaint, local and cheap! And the service was excellent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment