Monday 20 February 2012

Froggy Cake.


I am very proud of this cake.  I made it for our friend Leo who just turned 1!  It is a 12" cake and I have never made such a big cake.  I used the recipe from Lindy Smith's book - Cakes To Inspire and Desire.  The cakes in the book are all far too elaborate for me to ever attempt but I liked the first few chapters for all the advice and the charts with quantities and baking times for madeira, fruit and chocolate cakes of all different shapes and sizes.
The design I completely copied from an image on Google Images.  The original cake belongs to someone called Jen and can be seen on her website here.  It looks like she is a professional cake baker and I don't have permission from her to put my own version here so I just hope it is okay.  If she objects, I will remove it.  If anyone would like to tell me whether it is okay for me to display my copy of her design, I would appreciate the advice. 
My cake is madeira with a layer of raspberry jam and vanilla buttercream. 

14 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Those frogs are so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marina - they are quite cute grumpy frogs, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea about permissions or anything of that sort, but that is an outstanding job!! The cake is super!! I hope Leo had a wonderful first birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaah - so cute! I love their pouty faces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cake, love your cute froggies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fabulous! I wish I were creative enough to do something like that - you should be so proud! My brother would have loved this when he was little - he was passionate about Kermit the frog and carried his Kermit toy absolutely everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh! This looks such a brilliant cake! I'm sure Leo must have loved it! I too have this book- I've never made anything from it, just love admiring all the designs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO cute - I'm sure it was a big hit. I baked a 12 inch cake a while back for a friend's wedding cake, and it terrified me - it is so huge - the consequences of dropping than much cake mix en-route to the oven doesn't even bear thinking about...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see you posting again :)

    Cake looks great, don't worry too much about the permissions thing. I know there's a bit of a fuss in our blogging circles just now because of the Dan Lepard book but the general rule of thumb legally and morally is that it's OK as long as you're a) using your own wording and b) using your own voice.

    Don't cut and paste content and use your own pictures. Tell your own story of the recipe and you'll be fine. Obviously it's polite to link back to the source material or post an amazon link to the book as well.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh My! You are talented! Great work by you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! you always amaze me with your work, very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cute cake...I love the frogs! Did you glaze the blue icing it looks very pond like! :-)

    I'm never sure about the whole copying of designs and then putting up pictures either...if you find out I'd love to know! :-)

    ReplyDelete