Tuesday 14 May 2013

Two Breads.


For this month's Random Recipes, we were asked to choose a random bread recipe.  Steve was more than happy to join in with this one as he loves making bread and is really the official bread maker in this house.  We have two dedicated bread books in the house - Bread Matters by Andrew Whitley and Dough by Richard Bertinet.  These were the ones we randomly chose. The other book I had in the mix was Short and Sweet by Dan Lepard - I love his bread recipes too.

Steve chose Bread Matters and randomly chose page 221 which is Cheese Bread.


He made three lovely loaves of cheesy bread.  He used mature cheddar and half white and half wholemeal bread.  This bread was particularly good for dipping into soup but Steve also liked it just spread with butter.  Obviously the kids loved it too.



I got Dough and opened it at page 88 - Ciabatta.



I must say I was a bit disappointed - how boring.  I noticed the variation called for Kalamata olives so I intended to make this.  Unfortunately, despite having bought some beautiful olives, I completely forgot to put them into my dough.  Ooops.
So there I was slightly bored by my white ciabattas.  However, they were incredible!  Perfect ciabattas, and full of taste (probably due to the 24 hour ferment).


They took a few steps over 24 hours but the actual work involved was minimal.  The recipe calls for avocado oil but I couldn't find any.  I'd love to give it a try again with either the olives or the avocado oil and Steve has asked for me to make them again so I guess I will.




14 comments:

  1. Looks like you got a really good texture in the ciabatta, the cheese bread looks good too. Did it take you back to our day out at Bread in Fife?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I loved that day in Fife. Maybe we should make it an annual trip?

      Delete
  2. They look perfect! Ciabatta is A's favourite, but I always buy it, never even thought to DIY. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ps I don't have any dedicated bread-making books, so if you could randomly choose me a recipe from one of yours...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh la la! That ciabatta looks awesome ... olives next time ... and the cheese bread def goes with soup! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I can't believe I forgot the olives - I LOVE olive bread.

      Delete
  5. Love the look of your ciabattas. I've yet to try making those, and I really must give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were easy and a really good bread. I'm not generally a fan of white bread so I might need to experiment with other flours - not sure if it would count as a ciabatta then, though?

      Delete
  6. Oh wow. So many breads! The ciabatta really does look exceptional too but I do love the idea of the cheese bread. Well done for making so many breads! Thanks for taking part this month and such an early entry too! (Hehehe)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great looking ciabatta. We love this lovely crunchy bread. But those cheesy loaves look deliciouse too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, these look brilliant. I had a flick through that Richard bertinet book the other day (looking for a book for my brother) and it did look good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a nice book. Comes with a DVD to show you the kneading technique but I haven't actually bothered to watch it yet. Oops.

      Delete
  9. Those ciabattas look amazing! (and Steve's looked good too)

    ReplyDelete